Jonathan J. Rodriguez, Esq. is a Shareholder and Co-Founder of Santana Rodriguez Law, P.A. He is licensed in the state of Florida, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Jonathan is the firm’s lead commercial law and real estate practitioner. He focuses his practice on representing clients in a wide range of general business matters, including business formations, transactions, and litigation. Among other things, Jonathan has represented clients in matters involving contract disputes, real estate sale, purchase, and lease transactions, business and intentional torts, negligence, and fraud.
Jonathan graduated cum laude with his Juris Doctor from the University of Florida College of Law, during which, he
- Served as a member of three (3) law journals, including the Florida Law Review, Florida Journal of International Law, and Florida Journal of Technology Law and Policy;
- Obtained honors in Legal Research and Writing and Appellate Advocacy; and
- Received the “book award” (honors) in the course of Florida Condominiums, Cooperatives, and Planned Developments.
Jonathan further graduated magna cum laude with his Bachelor’s degree in Economics and a minor in Business at Florida International University. There, he received additional awards for outstanding academic achievement in Economics.
He is fluent in English and proficient in Spanish.
Jonathan formerly worked as an attorney for the international law firm of Greenberg Traurig, P.A., where he represented businesses and banks in commercial litigation involving complex transactions and torts. There, he had the following significant and successful representations:
- Defended international bank and broker-dealer against US$50 million compensatory and punitive damages claims, alleging fraud, negligence, and breach of fiduciary duty in connection with certain investment recommendations pertaining to Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, LLC, all of which were dismissed.
- Defended a mega software company against compensatory and punitive damages claims, alleging fraud, unjust enrichment, and violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (“RICO”) in connection with software license matters in Guatemala, all of which were dismissed on grounds of forum non conveniens.
- Defended international bank against million dollar-plus claims, alleging breach of contract, tortious interference, and conversion in connection with the alleged restriction of funds in a Mexican company’s investment accounts, all of which, after a bench trial, were dismissed with a final judgment in favor of the bank.
- Represented investment fund plaintiff in breach of contract action based on loans and guarantees made for over US$70 million for which a final consent judgment was obtained in favor of plaintiff, and defended same against various counterclaims and over twenty-five (25) affirmative defenses, all of which were dismissed and resolved by final consent judgment in favor of plaintiff.
- Defended international bank against multi-million dollar claims, alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and various fraud claims in connection with certain pledge agreements, collateralized loans, and investment recommendations, all of which were dismissed.
- Defended international bank against claims involving the Florida Securities Investor Protection Act, negligence, and breach of fiduciary duty in connection with certain alleged unauthorized transactions in a Switzerland personal investment company’s account, all of which were resolved by final judgment in favor of the bank.
Jonathan also had the honor of serving as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Dorian K. Damoorgian at the Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal, as well as a judicial intern for the Honorable Angel A. Cortinas at the Florida Third District Court of Appeal.
Jonathan’s additional legal and business experience includes the following:
- Law clerk/contract attorney for the law firm of Broad & Cassel;
- Law clerk for the University of Florida Office of the General Counsel;
- Judicial extern for the Trial Court Staff Attorney’s Office for the Eighth Judicial Circuit; and
- Licensed Real Estate Broker for over ten (10) years, during which, he became a multi-million dollar producer and originated and consulted on numerous real estate sales, purchase, and lease transactions.